Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Is it Soda or Pop?

Click on the "Many Eyes" icon to see the map of the US by percent who call carbonated beverages "pop"...the darker the orange, the higher the percent. Here's where the US stands....



Thanks to Paul for this educational experience.

6 comments:

Jon said...

Beth and I were just talking about this, we now carbonated beverages "sodas". We really are southerners now.

rudi said...

In Australia they just call them 'soft drinks.' They don't know what 'pop' or 'soda' is.

Anonymous said...

I've been annoying people for years with my lecture on what is the correct term, here I go again:

Soda Pop is the full & formal name, just look in the dictionary. In this form, soda is the adjective and pop is the noun. Therefore, if you shorten the full name, it should be referred to by the noun, not the adjective. We Americans play "ball", eat "dogs" and drink "pop" (either soda or barley). Have you ever heard of anyone playing "base", eating a "hot" & drinking "soda". It just isn't proper English.

It's "pop" and I've yet to hear anyone with a valid arguement for calling it soda, because there isn't one!

Laura said...

Wow, I've never heard the controversy explained quite so nicely. Paul is thrilled, as he is an adamant 'pop' drinker. Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

Feel free to spread the word!

By the way, tell Paul he's pretty okay for a Sox fan.

Anonymous said...

If it's "pop" you get hit in the face.