Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Monday, January 15, 2007

Good Read for 2007

I recently finished a really good book by Phillip Keller called "A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23." A lot of people think of Psalm 23 as comforting for those who are perhaps dying or who have a loved one who is nearing the end of life. It is really so much more than that. This book is written about the Psalm from a shepherd's point of view and it is such a good reminder of how God is our good Shepherd and we are his sheep. Here's a sample:


Human beings, being what they are, somehow feel entitled to question the reasons for everything that happens to them. In many instances life itself becomes a continuous criticism and dissection of one's circumstances and acquaintances. We look for someone or something on which to pin the blame for our misfortunes. We are often quick to forget our blessings, slow to forget our misfortunes.

But if one really believes his affairs are in God's hands, every event, no matter whether joyous or tragic, will be taken as part of God's plan. To know beyond doubt that He does all for our welfare is to be led into a wide area of peace and quietness and strength for every situation. (p. 70-71)

Anyway, it's a fast read (less than 150 pages) and is less than $5. Well worth your time and money.

4 comments:

BoxcatAV said...

Sounds like a good read. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Laura,
A dear friend of mine was sharing this book with me just the other day. I will make a mental note to get a copy. Thank you for sharing!
Bev

Anonymous said...

Laura, I liked this book idea and I think Michelle would really like it too, I passed it along to her, as well as to Tim, he is a reader too !! Kevin reads the sports page.
Linda

Anonymous said...

I read this book years ago when I was a pretty new Christian. I actually think that Grandma Bonner gave it to me. Anyway, I remember being somewhat insulted that I was being compared to a sheep (me and Ken Davis). But the longer that I am a Christian, the more that I know the wisdom of the comparison. God is good-
Mom