I have 2 sisters (Beth and Errin) and 4 girl cousins on my Dad's side of the family. That makes 7 granddaughters for my Grandma. Easy math, right?! With Elise and my niece Libby, that adds 2 great-granddaughters. Baby S #2 adds one more. And we learned today that my sister Beth is having a GIRL! That makes 11 consecutive girls in a row.
What are the odds?!? 1/20th of 1% or 1/2048.
Question: What are the odds that the next baby in the family will be a girl? The answer seems simple, but is it?
Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
The next one should be a boy. Think about it ...... Beth, Laura, Melissa, Errin then Brian, Sam, Jonathan, etc in one generation. Now Elise, Libby, Girl Baby S #2, Girl Baby K #2 so next should be a Baby Boy followed by several more boys. Whether it's a Baby S, Baby K or maybe even a Baby D is the big question!
Love A. Gail (AKA Gail the Great)
The odds are still 1 in 2.
I'm very impressed with your mathematical abilities. How'd you get to be so smart? ...must have got that from your dad!
I love you,
Mom
Dan is right - it's like flipping a coin. You might get 20 consecutive heads but the odds are still 1 in 2.
A special thanks to Dan and Rudi for setting the record straight. I was merely pointing out the fact that 'odds' don't seem to work in our family.
Post a Comment